Spruce Grove Playschool Society is a non-profit, parent run cooperative that puts all of its funds back into the school.
You, the parents, are an essential part of your child's learning at playschool!
- Cooperation between parents and teachers in reinforcing common goals, hopes and caring is an unbeatable combination.
- Teachers can provide educational expertise, objectivity and experience.
- Parents can provide knowledge of the child acquired through their loving and caring relationship.
- Together we can strengthen and enhance the quality of your child's first experience in an organized social, learning situation.
We are licensed and provide programs for 76 children: 20 maximum in the 4 year old programs and Mixed-Age program & 16 maximum in the 3 year old program. Parents volunteer in a variety of ways, either on the executive or being a part of a general committee. Our parents are also in the classroom to volunteer with the children approximately once every 2 months* (MWF Program) or once every 3 months* (MW/TTh Program); *this can vary depending on registration numbers.
A high-quality education is one of the most important things that we can provide a child. Exposure to a variety of topics, people, and adventures all contribute to a fulfilling school experience.
Don't expect an exact repeat of your previous playschool experience...every year and every program presents its own special needs. Some things, however, do remain the same:
- we are going to make a mess,
- we are going to make some noise,
- we are going to have a lot of fun and most of all,
- we are going to LEARN.
447 King Street
Spruce Grove, AB T7X2J5
Spruce Grove Playschool‘s philosophy is based on the Reggio Emilia approach to early childhood education. Within Reggio Emilio schools, the educators are very concerned about what their school environments teach children. The environment is often referred to as the “third teacher.”
The objective is to create a pleasant atmosphere, where children, families and teachers feel understood and at ease. We hope you and your child will feel comfortable and stimulated in the beautiful classrooms of Spruce Grove Playschool.
Another of the main principals behind the Reggio approach is that children are seen as:
- imaginative, and
- This approach believes, as do the teachers of Spruce Grove Playschool, that children must have some control over the direction of their learning.
Children learn through experiences of
- seeing, and
- Children have a relationship with other children and with material items in the world, and they must be allowed to explore these relationships. Children must have endless ways and opportunities to express themselves. The central reason that a child must have control over his or her day-to-day activity is that learning must make sense from the child’s point of view. Children learn through interaction with others, including parents, staff and peers in a friendly learning environment. Teachers trust themselves to respond appropriately to children’s ideas and interest, they trust children to be interested in things worth knowing about, and they trust parents to be informed and productive members of a cooperative educational team. The result is an atmosphere of community and collaboration that is developmentally appropriate for adults and children alike.
The playschool staff believe that our approach enhances the development of your child’s communication skills, critical thinking abilities, problem solving skills, creativity, decision making abilities, collaboration skills, and so much more.
We have a strong belief that learning should be JOYFUL, and that is apparent throughout our classrooms, in the children, in the parents, and in the teachers.